One character talking with many bubbles

When you have a character speak in multiple speech bubbles in a row, how do you write that in your script?

Superscript’s format is based on Blambot’s example of the Van Lent format (at https://blambot.com/pages/comic-script-basics), where the character name is repeated and each is numbered separately:

Another option would be to put the second bubble on a new line without repeating the character name:

Both options are supported in Superscribe 1.x, but the second version is counted as one speech bubble in the app. I think think that version may also be less obvious to the artist and letterer reading the script.

Why am I asking? I’m looking for ways to simplify the syntax in version 2.0. If everyone agrees that the first option meets their needs, then I can make Superscript only support that option. In exchange, we can remove the need to indent dialog, since the app can assume that only the line directly following a character heading is dialog. It’s a question of simplicity+strictness vs complexity+flexibility.

Which do you prefer? Do you use another method? Are there other times you might split speech/narration/captions onto multiple lines?

I just do two separate balloons, but I don’t know if I’ve ever saw a scripts where it’s just on a separate line without the heading. Seems like it be confusing to the reader.

1 Like

I currently use separate lines as it is now. I agree with Hedington that it’s less clear not to have the extra heading.

1 Like